The last half of 2010 has been great for us here, and we’re looking forward to an even better 2011! This is just a taste of what we have planned for the year, as well as two additions to our crew.
I’m Angel and I’m a 27 year old everything-nerd living in the Charlotte, North Carolina, though I love Southern California enough that I visit it at least bi-annually. I’m a contributor to both Insert Pop Culture Reference and Cineboobs. I didn’t start reading comics until I was in high school, so I’m likely a bit behind the other ladies here, but my main love is Marvel, and I tend to keep up with X-Force, X-Factor and pretty much any title X-23 is in, these days. I’d gladly follow Peter David onto the surface of the sun, and I want to wallpaper my walls with Mike Choi art.
If you’re scratching your head wondering where you’ve seen the name Emma Houxbois before, it’s probably because that (misused) quote from David Hine about the creation of Nightrunner making the rounds originated at my blog. Aside from that I’m a 26 year old trans woman living in Vancouver, Canada. I do a lot of geekery, but my major is Gotham with a concentration in the Bat-females. True to form the first thing you can expect from me here is a series examining just who the modern Bat-females (Barbara Gordon, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, and Katherine Kane) are not just as heroes, but as women.
– We’re going to try something new this year. The first thing is a picks of the week post! From comics, to podcasts, to creators, to comic based media, tv and movies, we’ll all do our best to add our favourite for that week to one post. On top of that, we’re looking at doing monthly (to start) themed posts, where we’ll all answer the same question – to give you a varied perspective.
– We have a great project in the works in conjuction with Nerds In Babeland and Meltdown Comics. In store comics discussions that’ll stream onto the web! On top of that, we’re going to be doing a few cross-blog reviews and comic discussions that should give everyone a few different views on a number of books.
– There’s a special video Dee is making near the beginning of February, along with a world-renowned Harley Quinn cosplayer. You’ll have to wait to see what it is, but it’s bound to be a lot of fun, and feature a Scandal Savage/Harley Quinn team up!
– Interviews with creators! Dee has already lined up Nicola Scott and has a few more in the works. There are some pretty cool creators coming down to Australia and New Zealand in the next few months, and she’s going to be getting in there and asking question you want the answers to!
– We’re going to be at San Diego Comic Con in force! If all goes well we’ll have press credentials too. So look for lots of coverage of everything you want to know about from tv and movies to what’s next for your favourite comics, to Dee’s favourite, COSPLAY! And watch out for the Girls Read Comics Too cosplay effort, because it’s going to be amazing.
– Which leads us to the biggest event – our one year anniversary in March. We’re not sure what we’re going to do for it yet, but there’ll be some surprises and likely even a contest or two! Stay tuned is all we can say.