Wednesday! Glorious comic book day! Check out our post to see what we’re looking forward to reading this week, and let us know what you’re picking up as well.
Our pick of the week:
Story: Matt Fraction
Art: Annie Wu, Matt Hollingsworth
• KATE-GUY! MADAME MASQUE! LOS ANGELES! EXPLOSIONS! THE END OF SUMMER VACATION! THE FINAL SHOWDOWN FOR ALL THE MARBLES! THE MARBLES ARE A METAPHOR!
• YOU BELONG YOU BELONG YOU BELONG YOU BELONG TO THE MERRY MARBLE MARCHING SOCIETY!
• This is… THE BIG ONE. Fraction and Wu and Hollingsworth too — OH MY!
- Lazarus #11: Still enjoying this series, though I’m a few issues behind. It continues to scratch my dystopian itch.
- Captain Marvel #7: Always, always.
- Death of Wolverine #2: I enjoyed parts of the first issue, though it was high on sketches/interviews and didn’t have enough story? But I really like where Logan’s mindset is in this. Half expecting death, half fighting to stay alive. I’m here for that story, screw all the fighting.
- Hawkeye #20: A Hawkeye issue! Joy!
- Ms Marvel #8: First Wolverine, now Lockjaw? This could be the best unintentional team-up series yet.
- All-New Ultimates #8: I keep saying I’m quitting, and I’m honestly not sure why I keep reading this book at this point. I hesitate to say someone is a bad artist, because I like to believe that everyone working in comics is trying to perfect their craft, but I don’t think this art fits this book. I also think these characters are primed for richer stories. I just desperately want this book to be better than it is.
- Captain Marvel #7: A new story arc, a new artist! Marcio Takara does good work and I’m really looking forward to this. And is that Rhodey and Spider-Woman I spy in the previews? Ahhh I can’t wait for this one.
- Death of Wolverine #2: I actually balked at buying Death of Wolverine #1 because it’s listed at $4.99. (Four ninety-nine!) So I haven’t read it yet. My resolve will probably be broken when I actually go to my LCS this week, and I’ll grab both.
- Hawkeye #20: It’s gonna be hard to follow the ASL issue, but I’m looking forward to the conclusion of Kate’s west coast arc. I’m going to miss this book so much when it’s gone.
- Ms. Marvel #8: Completely, utterly delightful always.
My backlog is breeding faster than a pair of hamsters left unattended and is threatening to eat its young. To prevent that from happening, I’m focusing more on what I’ve yet to read rather than pulling more. However the top candidates for speeding to the front of the line are this:
- Captain Marvel #7: More space stuff for Carol! ALL the space adventures for Carol! Sure I’d like to have her back hanging out with the Guardians of the Galaxy, but since I can’t right now I’ll take her having run-ins with aliens. It works.
- Hawkeye #20: Is it possible to grow up to be heroines who are both younger than you and fictional? Cause I want to be Kate Bishop, private eye. Let us all strive to be characters in this comic together with middling-to-no success! Huzzah!
- Ms. Marvel #8: I want this comic to run forever. The world deserves this comic to run for forever. Plus it has Lockjaw and parts of Inhumanity I actually enjoy (the rest just breaks my heart) so there is really only wins to be found here.
- Judge Dredd: Anderson, Psi-Division #2: I wasn’t blown away by the first issue, but I dug it well enough and I’m definitely curious as to where it’s going.
- Lazarus #11: SO glad I took the time to get caught up on this title, what a great ride to be on.
- The Walking Dead #131: How much did I love the subversion of the ‘naive newbies falling under the villain’s sway because they don’t know any better’ trope last issue? A WHOLE BUNCH, YES I DID. Anyway, ha ha ha talking zombies, Kirkman what are you on about this time
- Hawkeye #20: Give me Kate Bishop or give me death.
- Nightcrawler #6: It made me irrationally happy to see Claremont get to write the current crop of badass teen girl mutants last issue, this book really stepped it up after the first arc. Not sure what the heck that bit with Jean was supposed to be, but man, if even half the X-books being published right now had this much heart, I would… care a lot more about the X-books being published right now, I guess.
- X-Force #9: I JUST REALLY LOVE A GOOD MI-13 APPEARANCE.
- All-New Ultimates #8:
- Avengers 34.1: Marvel has a few Superman-analogues, not even counting the one the Illuminati ran into in New Avengers. Hyperion is… one of those! Sort of. Anyway, Hickman does interesting stuff, this will hopefully be a more interesting look at the guy. And, hey: At least he’s not the fucking Sentry.
- Hawkeye #20: Kate Bishop’s LA PI adventure concludes! It’s Hawkeye. It’s an issue of Hawkeye that is actually coming out. Let us give thanks.
- Ms Marvel #8: Ms Marvel is probably about the only shot Marvel have at actually getting Inhumanity to be any kind of thing. It’s actually an okay shot, considering how damned good Ms Marvel is. And so, Lockjaw! Havin’ adventures with Ms Marvel! It’ll be a good time.
I’m about three weeks behind and managing to avoid spoilers through sheer willpower alone, so my lone pick for this week is…
- Hawkeye #20: There’s a lot of books I love coming out this week, like Ms. Marvel #8, but this is the only one I’ll be sure to get around to sooner rather than later!